Now that summer’s here, you can afford to spend a little extra time working on your mani/pedi skills! Here are a few ideas and tips that’ll make all the difference!
Dots & Stripes
This is what The Beauty Department does to achieve this look!
- Gather some different sized art brushes. They often come in packs or you can gather old makeup brushes that you don’t use anymore. To make dots instead of lines, get a straight pin from a fabric store (which ever size you’d like!) and push it into a retractable eraser or just a #2 pencil. Now you have your own dotting tool!
- Paint the base of the nail white then make some small polish puddles with different colors
- Use scoth tape to section off different stripes. If you’re really good, you can probably freehand, otherwise use tape. Dip different brushes and drag across the nail to make various sized stripes!
DIY Nail Stickers
The secret to getting perfect shapes on your nails! This one’s from The Beauty Department too! You’ll need polish, scissors, and scotch tape.
- Apply polish to tape. Let dry for 30 minutes.
- Cut strips, triangles, other shapes.
- Apply to a pre-polished nail with the sticky side down. Then give it a good top coat.
Zooey D’s Tuxedo Nails
This one’s for the more experienced nail artists, or those with a steady hand! Thanks to Glamour for this DIY!
- Paint on a base coat, 2-3 coats of white, and then top coat. Let dry.
- Mark the bow’s center using a pointy eyeliner brush dipped in black polish (or use your new dotting tool you made in the Dots & Stripes tutorial!)
- Add four more dots to make an X shape. Keep them as round as possible!
- Connect the dots in a bow shape, and fill in. Enlarge the center dot a bit.
- Do the tip. Start from each outer edge, and go in to the middle to get an even line.
- Create three more dots (buttons!), let it dry, and finish with clear topcoat.